nschluntz

Nina Schluntz's Blog

Most often I read books so I can compare them to their movie adaptations. But if I’m hearing a lot of chatter about a book, I’ll read it to see why people are so interested in it.

A B rated horror movie in book form!

Whisper of Crows - Jameson Hesse

Never before have a read a book that flows like a horror movie. You know the kind, the B-rated slasher movie where characters are introduced, just so they can be horrifically slaughtered in the next scene. The movie where you know, only one, maybe none will be alive at the end of the film. There isn’t so much a plot as there is a thin baseline that links one graphic disaster of horror to the next. And then the plot that is there, some of it isn’t real… your character himself isn’t sure of what’s real and what isn’t. So is it supernatural? Or is the character just insane? Or a mix of both?

Imagine that movie in book form. And “Whisper of Crows” fills that billet to the letter.

This is one of those books that I kept reading because I wanted to know what was real and what wasn’t. I wanted to know if there were supernatural elements going on. Or if the character was just going insane. Normally at some point in the book this is made clear. Not in this one. Even at the very end, it isn’t clear what is real or what isn't real. At least to me. I get that both movies and books do end that way, and it’s perfectly okay. But if you are like me and you like to have closure at the end of the story, then this book is not for you. You never get the real answers, you never find out what is real, I repeat, you never find out.

Maybe it’s a cliffhanger for the next book, but this book was wrote three years ago, so I’m not holding my breath.

Now, when I was reading this, I really-really wished there was a better synopsis out there. I wanted to know what this book was about. And no matter how much of it I read, I never felt I knew enough to provide me with the answer of “who should I recommend this book too?” So I’m not normally one for spoilers and giving away the entire plot of a book. But considering how badly I wanted one, when I was reading it, I have decided to provide one.

Click this link for "<a href="https://mizner13.wordpress.com/2015/05/03/whisper-of-crows-book-review-synopsis-spoilers/">Whisper of Crows</a>" review with spoilers.