nschluntz

Nina Schluntz's Blog

Most often I read books so I can compare them to their movie adaptations. But if I’m hearing a lot of chatter about a book, I’ll read it to see why people are so interested in it.

Will take you on a wild ride!

Smut - Matt Micheli, Trevor Donaldson, Dawné Dominique

I’m one of those people that never reads a chapter title. I just don’t. Which proved to be a handicap while reading this book. It takes place in three, maybe four places in time. Basically, the chapter title is telling you the date. So the main character, Sam, his story is being told in three different timelines, if that makes sense.

The point of this? I think it’s to give you an idea of how confused and nonlinear the story is for the main character. Did I start reading the chapter titles after I figured out what the author was doing? Nope. The timelines are different enough I was able to keep it sorted.

This is one of those books that focuses on the mediocre. A bit too much attention was given to the tiny details, which at first I found annoying, but again, I think this was to help us see the world through the character’s eyes.

Now I did get very annoyed at the recurring self-absorbed thoughts Sam has. How does one actually get “eye-fucked”. Well, Sam gets eye fucked from pretty much every person he meets, so I hope it’s a good thing.

I kept searching for a plot and at the very end, I mean, the very last page of the book, you are given one. But it was so—not mentioned—during the rest of the book, it almost comes off as silly.

The book will take you on a wild ride, and I mean that literally. The main character is pretty much never sober and the description is so vivid you will feel as high as the character. At first I thought this was a negative, but to be honest… days after I finished the book found myself picking it up again. That rarely happens to me! I was so engulfed in this world, I want more!

I would suggest giving “Smut” a try. It’s one of those books you might end up liking, but you may not want to admit too!