nschluntz

Nina Schluntz's Blog

Most often I read books so I can compare them to their movie adaptations. But if I’m hearing a lot of chatter about a book, I’ll read it to see why people are so interested in it.

If you enjoy dramas, the prime time television kind, then this book is for you

The Fire Inside - Michelle Bellon

This is one of those stories I would call a predictable read. You follow three main characters, whose lives are not connected. It’s fairly obvious from the start that the plot is focused on the lives of these three strangers becoming connected and most likely saving each other. All three are damaged in their own ways and it’s easy to see how the pieces will interlock to give everyone a happily ever after.

The story does reach some fairly dark points, the characters each reach lows in their lives, which must be touched on to come full circle and bring them back to a balanced—and hopefully happy—life.

If you enjoy dramas, the prime time television kind, then this would be a good book for you. It goes dark, but not so dark that teenagers couldn’t read it. There’s no cussing, sex, or anything inappropriate or graphic. I’d say there are some good life lessons and morals being taught in the storyline as well. Almost to a—force it down your throat—degree, but not quite. I lost the believability of the characters and atmosphere a few times cause things are pretty exaggerated. For example; a 17 year old boy who turns down sex? *blink blink* where do these exist? A husband who leaves his depressed wife, never cheats on her, and comes back to reconcile with her? I guess those things can happen… But man, the men in this book are like the nicest people ever.

Anyway, it is a nice read. So if you enjoy a drama where you know it’ll end happy, you’ll meet some nice people, then pick up “the fire inside”.